Wednesday, July 17, 2013

And God called down a plague onto Egypt....

I have not been enslaving Israelites nor am I in Egypt, but the ant swarm that happened in my bedroom was Biblical.

Yesterday afternoon it was rainy and gross out, so instead of battling the weather to go to the bar, I stayed in and read my book, the Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. It was really really good! Read it today!

I spent a lovely, lazy afternoon in my bed reading and got up around 8:00 ready for some dinner. My little cousin and I set the table and put the food out and tucked in. About halfway through dinner, I was thirsty, so I went to my bedroom to get a bottle of water.

What I saw when I turned on the light was nightmare material. There were ants all over one of my bedroom walls. They were all over my hanging clothes, both of my hats, all of my books, my desk, my toiletries...and the list goes on. There were so many that I could actually hear them.

Has anyone else seen The Covenant? (It's a terrible supernatural teen movie about man-witches that I thoroughly enjoyed watching in high school, because those man-witches were cutie pies.) Anyway, there's this nightmare scene where the main lady wakes up because she feels something on her legs and when she flips up her covers, SHE IS COVERED IN SPIDERS. They are on the ceiling and the floor and all over her roommate.

It's pretty yucky. And exactly how I felt last night. I just stood there. I stood there so long that my host cousin came to see what was the matter.

We sprayed them with insecticide and I felt better, but like a bad hippie.

Cultural Note: Apparently the ants here are not as evil as fire ants and protect against snakes. Also, all insects were thought to be people's ancestors, so you were not allowed to kill them.

2 comments:

  1. The Covenant scene really paints the picture! That's so creepy!!! And were we really in high school when we watched it? I almost hate to admit that, but you're right- they were total cutie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think it came out senior or junior year. And all those swim team scenes.... mm mm good!

    ReplyDelete