Saturday, May 4, 2013

T minus 22 days


Yes, it's another blog! The reason for it?

I AM DOING THE PEACE CORPS.

Sorry about the yelling, but it is some pretty exciting stuff! I started applying fall of 2011 on one of the rare sunny days in Metz after getting on facebook and reading about various friends (Peace Corps Volunteers=PCVs) and their assorted bowel problems in Mali, Burkina Faso and Uganda. I was inspired! I too wanted to have stomach problems in exotic locations!

After many moons and issues including translating the fingerprinting cards for the guy with the ink in France and running out of minutes on my cell for my interview, I got an invitation to go to Eastern Europe. I was ecstatic that I got in, but in the back of my head, all I could think was "Russian winter." If Napoleon couldn't handle it, I was pretty sure I was not up for it, but started researching Vitamin D lamps and what kind of outlets the former Soviet bloc uses.

Then one happy day in January 2013, I got a telephone call and an email asking me if I wanted to go to Cameroon in May. The answer was an emphatic, "Yes, please!" on the phone (You have to use that filter for professional settings).

Since then, I have quit my job as a nanny, moved to Jacksonville, bought a quadruplex, become an expert wall patcher, a mediocre painter, and a substitute teacher; and witnessed my first physical fight (it was dirty and involved nine-year-olds).

And the countdown begins....

I leave for Philadelphia on May 26th to do a little touristing and if there is enough time, perhaps reenact some of the more dramatic scenes from National Treasure. On the 29th, I have 'staging,' which is Peace Corps lingo for orientation/policies & procedures/don't get malaria or mugged. I leave the 30th from New York to go to Brussels and then onward to Yaounde. I'm very excited, but am definitely starting to freak out a little. My method for dealing with the madness? Mostly by cuddling my dog and flirting with the very attractive, bearded lanky man attempting to sell me a $350 backpack - the Cadillac of hiking backpacks, he says. Tomorrow, I intend to return and see if it comes with a sunroof, stereo and built-in GPS. Then we'll talk.

Other news from 'sunny Florida,' I am currently being serenaded by so many frogs and toads that they are drowning out the car sounds outside (extra impressive considering we have had almost 2'/about 50cm of rain here in the past week) My house is doing fine, but all 4 of the a/c units are in danger of being under water, my scooter had to be moved and the pond at my parents' farm overflowed its banks and is inside the barn, which is the highest point on the property. Oh, Florida.

At least I'll be prepared for the rainy season in Cameroon?

2 comments:

  1. Hi... Again, what you're doing is awesome :) This is Leo from the flight to Atlanta 5/26/13. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Take care... You'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leo! It was good meeting you - I hope your stay in Canada goes well!

      Delete