Thursday, May 30, 2013

"Better late and with all your fingers"

The saga of the stitches continues!

Unlike the other members of my cohort, I am not currently taxiing down the runway in New York en route to Brussels. I am also not in Philadelphia, weeping because I missed the bus or in New York, wailing having missed the plane, because I wanted one last bagel.

I have been medevac'ed before I've even left. What does 'medevac' mean? Thank you for asking! For the most part, when a PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer...or in my case PCT [Peace Corps Trainee]) has a health issue, they are treated in their host country. On occasion though, the staff in country doesn't have the equipment or training necessary for something strange or drastic, in which case they send you back to the United States for treatment.

In my case, I obviously hadn't left yet and my stitches aren't terrible exotic (despite the Muppets bandaids), but they decided to keep me in the United States. They didn't want to potentially go to the expense of flying me all the way there and then having to turn around and ship me right back. Also, according to my dad, once infection sets in in your finger(s), you are in a bad place. It's a bummer that I'm not leaving with everyone else, but as they say, "Better late and with all your fingers."

I'll be taking my time here to visit some grad schools, maybe do the rest of the Smithsonian museums, and definitely watch an unhealthy amount of Grey's Anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment