Thursday, September 26, 2013

Confections and Infections

So in training they showed us a graph of how we'd be mentally throughout our whole service. The first 6 months or so looked like someone in tachycardia (thanks, Grey's!) - basically really sharp ups and downs.

Examples of this being: One day after worrying that I was about to "join the club," while locked in the teachers' lounge with the English department and no toilet, I received the most romantic marriage proposal I've had so far. In the same day, I saw a dog die in a moto accident (the person was fine), I cried all over George and within the hour laughed out loud at him attacking a wrapper in my flower beds. It's a little disconcerting.

Warning: Objects may look more attractive in photos than in real life.
Right now, I have ringworm and a staph infection. The staph infection is totally my fault; I just posted pictures of my staph-y ankle from Bafia and replied to a comment saying that I was staph-free. I did not knock on wood; I was tempting fate and here I am with a weird crater looking thing on my ankle.

So that was my morning news. Then, I hung out and watched Back to the Future, read my book, and cuddled with George and hung out with some friends in Bertoua. On our way to go eat fufu and jammajamma, we stopped at the post office to check for mail and lo and behold! I had a package! AND four letters (thanks, Mum, Aunt Analee and Beebs!

I am feeling pretty loved, because not only were there a ton of delicious treats, there were letters inside the package from Mindy, Maggie, and John and Mary! As you can tell from my punctuation, I am riding a wave of excitement and love!

Also, I promise to start taking pictures of pretty things in Dimako this weekend and posting them in a couple weeks. I realize that I only have 13 pictures to show for almost 4 months of being here - and 6 are of George, 3 are of staph infections and none are of my face. I fully intend to remedy that with pictures of banana trees and dogs on trash piles and colorful laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment