Sunday, January 26, 2014

What I've been up to

Nothing much. The end.

Sadly, this is not too far from the truth. I finally got back to Dimako the first full week of January just in time to teach. I delayed my return till the last minute not because I didn't want to go to post, but because my house isn't ready.

I've been looking for a house almost since I got to post in August. I finally found one in late November and got it approved. Peace Corps paid 6 months rent in advance, so that they had the money to finish up the house. It needed the bathroom to be finished up, a couple light fixtures installed, a wall around the compound and a roof for the latrine. The money should have been a gracious plenty for all of that to get done and only the wall would take a long time, but today is January 26th and I still am not in my house. 

I've been living in my postmate's house for the past two weeks. It's been very relaxing to be in a house with a fridge/freezer, a stove and furniture. It's really made me want to get my house done even more, but in the two weeks plus that I've been back, the only progress that's been made is a really big pit to drain my shower room, glass being added to one window and finding out that the house needs to be rewired.

My postmate, Jon, and I have a pretty good relationship, but I'm worried that when he gets back from his travels (he's been gone almost this whole time), I'm going to wear out my welcome. I would just really like to move and be done with it.

In the meantime, I've been teaching my 2 classes (having recently dropped one, because we got yet another English teacher at my school), watching a lot of movies, reading, and being so bored that I exercise twice a day. It's getting unhealthy. No one should be that bored, but when your laundry is all clean and so is the house and everything is organized and your papers are graded and your letters all answered, what else can you do?!

I think that I'm getting deeper into crazy-cat-ladydom. I spend a good amount of my time just watching George. He found a mouse outside and brought it in to play with and I thought it was really cute that he was batting around the tiny mouse corpse and then swallowed it whole. Do you see what I mean?!

Hopefully, I'll be moving soon, so I can get back into gardening and less into cat-watching. If anyone has any small entertainment ideas, send them my way! I've got stuff for quilting (Thanks, Jackie!), so maybe when I come back, I'll have a bad-ass pagne quilt and my sanity! I've rediscovered that I'm very good at solitaire and napping.

No comments:

Post a Comment